Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Vintage Potty Chair to FOOD DISH????

 
I saw this little, old, homemade potty chair at a yard sale. Yes, a potty chair. Homemade of wood, a hole cut into the seat, and pieces of wood  underneath where a little container would have been slid in, and out to clean. (That part was not there, but that's ok!)





 I immediately asked how much, as there was no price on it, and the lady said, "oh, how about a dollar?" And I about broke my wrist getting my money out. I would so love to know the story behind it. What daddy built it for his child? When? Did the baby's mother sit beside the chair and talk lovingly to her baby, while he/she learned the first of life's important skills? Did the child learn quickly? Was the chair passed down a line of babies, and where has it been in the years since it was last used? I so often wish the treasures I find could tell me their story!
When I bought it, my intention was to put a potted plant in it. Then, I had a better idea--it would be a perfect place for Marvin's food dish!! For those of you who do not know, Marvin is the biggest of my four "babies". He is a Great Pyrenees, and he is huge. He is also ten years old, which is really getting up there for a giant breed of dog. He doesn't get around as good as he used to. Plus, when he finishes eating, he uses his nose to scoot  his dish to a corner, dumps out the leftovers, and grabs the nearest throw rug to "bury" his extra food. So, this would be great, get his food up a bit higher so as to make it easier for him to eat,  and eliminate the mealtime mess. I built a simple box riser, then painted the riser and the chair with three coats of my DIY chalk paint, let it dry thoroughly,and waxed it with Trewax. The paint was all oops, a sort of Salmon, a beige, and then a top coat of a sage. Hard to see the colors in the pics, I really need a decent camera!! I put small pads on the bottom of the legs to keep it from sliding off the riser, added a stainless steel mixing bowl, and Marvin loves it! I "may" (!) have gotten carried away with the destressing, especially on the front, but I wanted it to be really chippy.

The dog in the background is Sunshine, my yellow lab.
It meets with Marvin's approval!
Yes, Mommy, this works great!

20 comments:

  1. Oh Sandra, this is absolutely precious. It turned out just great, and I know that Marvin is a happy 'baby'...So glad you put SS pic up also. She looks kinda jealous, ya think? Thanks for sharing...♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Betty. It was not my intention to include Sunshine, she just snuck into the picture. Sneaked? Whatever, she got into the picture, so I left it. She probably is jealous, she is always jealous. She is the Queen of Everything, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hysterical!!! Great idea and all but still so funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra, that is awesome and hilarious! You sure had some great vision when you saw that chair! Love your dogs too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, guys! I have to admit that it is unique. Which is what I love about it. Not something everybody has in their kitchen,lol, but I have never claimed to be "quite right" as we say down South.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra. I love this idea, although I think it would have been adorable as a planter too :). I am so glad that I'm not the only one who wonders about the past lives of my thrifted treasures. It looks perfect for Marvin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Taunnie. He is getting old, poor baby, and his bones creak like mine do. It is just enough of a boost to give him a little assistance. But I still think it would be a cute planter, if one comes across a similar one, and doesn't have a huge old dog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a super cute idea! I love it. :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful old piece that is, and to get to be repurposed is keeping it useful,I am in similar situation, finally able to do what I love after decades working....loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Jan, and thanks for the follow! It is wonderful being able to have the time to do what we love, is it not?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is wonderful, to do as we wish, is it not? Thank you for following, Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great repurpose for this potty chair, Sandra. What a beautiful dog, too! Look at that face!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you,Kathy. He has the sweetest, most gentle and loving spirit ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marvin is enjoying your creativity and love! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so clever, and cute, and functional... And best of all he loves it!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. These pictures just made me laugh out loud~no kidding either! Great way to re-use something for a practical purpose though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Jana! I love using things for something completely unrelated to the original purpose! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate your visit, and would love for you to leave a comment. I read them all, and will do my best to answer each one. If you have a specific question, feel free to email me. And of course I would love for you to follow me!